THE DANCE MATTER*

If I claim that my family raised me carelessly, I would be unfair to them. Rather, I was raised as most families would like their children to be. I was easy-going, well-behaved, uncomplaining, and I used to listen to reason at the first instance. I recall that one day I craved for the Simit of a street vendor; notwithstanding, my mother warned me that, “Those are dirty, you cannot eat them! Then, I asked my mother that, “Those are dirty, and I cannot eat them, can I?” I also asked my mother after we got back from our visit that, “I didn’t misbehave mother, did I?” Thus, I could learn that I was making my mum proud. I used to just lie still in my cradle without clamouring.

When I think of my childhood years, it occurs to me that being so neat, calm and quiet is not such an accurate thing. Whether you like it or not a person who is so supressed under an organized life couldn’t be expected to have high esteem. It is typical of a person who grew up like the way I narrated to express his opinions easily among crowds, and to feel the need to get the approval of other people consistently.

Why am I telling all of these right now, don’t I? If you have got to your 29 years of age and still have not danced in your friends’ weddings until you will no longer remember your name because of the numbness of your head from drunkenness, there is surely the effect of being raised in a “conservative” way.

I danced for the first time last night. Neither one of my close friends got married, nor did I consume alcohol until I would no longer remember my name. It happened all of a sudden when you held my hand. At that moment, my skin got burned more than it was when I was 7 years of age and the water from the boiling teapot spilled over my body. In that instance, rather than forgetting my name, I lost my awareness as to in which world I lived.

If you are able to dance without telling a word until you are ready to drop out of fatigue, you should know that you are in love.



*Translated by Ms Koc, Akdeniz University

Yorumlar

Bu blogdaki popüler yayınlar

İDRİS BEYİN'İN MEYHANESİ

ANLAMSIZ CÜMLELER

ÖLMEK İÇİN ERKEN